This DIY heart wreath is easy to create with just a few simple supplies found at the craft store. Hang it outside on a covered front door or inside your home on hooks for beautiful, tasteful, charming Valentine’s Day décor.
Valentine’s Day décor…I think it gets a bad wrap. Many people associate Valentine décor with inexpensive, cheesy hearts made with bright red tinsel or L-O-V-E signs with pink hatted gnomes. Why is that? Because it’s the majority of the Valentine decorations sold in stores. If you love decorating your home with those things, that is completely fine! I always promote styling your home with what you love, not by trends or how someone else (or design experts) say you should. However, Valentine décor can be so much more than those inexpensive decorations found at the store.
Valentine décor can be stylish and tasteful when you decorate with just a few pieces that fit within your home’s aesthetic. Less is always more. You don’t need to fill your home with loads of red & pink hearts to evoke the feeling of the Valentine’s Day holiday. Small, simple, charming touches will do the trick!
This DIY heart wreath checks all the Valentine décor boxes! It’s simplistic & organic style is ideal for a cottage-farmhouse home and the heart shape of the wreath along with small touches of pink add that perfect Valentine feeling.
The best part about this DIY heart wreath…will be made by you! It’s so easy to put together that even a beginner crafter can make this within a matter of minutes. All the supplies can be found at your local craft store, and the supplies you use can be completely customized based on your style preferences. You’ll love that you created special & unique Valentine’s Day decor for your home that can’t be found or bought at the store!
Valentine’s Day DIY Blog Hop
I’m joining a talented group of blogging friends to bring you DIY’s perfect for celebrating Valentine’s Day. Continue reading to the end of the blog post for links to all the inspirational Valentine DIY’s.
Never miss a blog post & have access to exclusive content when you become an ERH insider! Sign up here to join the Eleanor Rose Home community!
Supplies for a DIY Heart Wreath
Here’s what you will need to recreate this DIY heart wreath for Valentine’s Day, along with links to purchase the exact same items I used.
- 1 15 ft. Grapevine Garland or this grapevine wreath is already in the shape of a heart so you could use that instead.
- 22 Gauge Green Floral Wire
- 1 Faux White Berry Bush
- 1 Faux Pink Pom-Pom Stem
- 1 Faux Ivory Mini Baby’s Breath Spray
- Roll of 3/8″ Pink Gingham Ribbon
- Hot Glue & Hot Glue Gun
- Small Pliers
How to Make a DIY Heart Wreath
You can skip the first part of this DIY heart wreath entirely if you purchase an already assembled heart shaped grapevine wreath. I could not find one at my local craft store, so I decided to make my own. It was actually very easy to do!
1. Making the Heart Shaped Grapevine Wreath
- Cut 3 pieces of the green floral wire into 12″ lengths.
- Unroll the grapevine garland, and with the pliers cut the garland in half. The garland will want to curl in on itself so bend and flex the 2 garland pieces so it begins to straighten out.
- Take one end of each of the garland pieces, and bring them together. (Note: The pieces should not overlap but be placed side by side. See photos.)
- Take one of the lengths of wire, and on the back side of the wreath (decide which will be the front & which will be the back) thread the wire through one of the garland pieces and into the other. Do this about an 1″ up from the end of the 2 garland pieces. Pull wire taut, and tie the wire together as tightly as you can. (Tying the wire in the back will help to disguise it.)
- Do the same thing with the second length of wire. Placing this wire up another 1″ from the first piece of wire.
- With the top of the “heart” secured, bend the grapevine garland into a heart shape. You can make your heart as big or as small as you like. Our heart wreath is about 14″ across at it’s widest point.
- Once you have the shape you like, hold the “point” of the heart and trim the access grapevine garland. I wanted our wreath to have a little extra grapevine at the bottom so I left a few inches of grapevine past the “pointy” part of the heart.
- Tie the last piece of wire around the “point” of the heart, making sure the wire is tight & secure. This wire you do not need to hide because we will cover it with florals.
Pro Tip: Your wreath does not need to be a symmetrical heart shape. In fact, the charm of this wreath is it’s organic, one of a kind shape.
2. Adding the Flowers & Ribbon to the Wreath
This is the fun part…decorating your DIY heart wreath! You can really use your imagination and creativity when decorating your wreath. The sky is the limit! Here’s how I decorated ours to keep it simple & organic, but beautiful & charming.
- With my small pliers, I cut the the wire stems off all of the faux floral stems. Because this wreath is dainty, I only needed the flowery parts of the floral stems.
- I first hot glued the white berry pieces to the bottom half of the wreath. I hot glued one side of the wreath and then the other. I made sure the berry stems looked even on both sides of the wreath.
- Next, I hot glued the baby’s breath on top of the berry pieces. I added a little less of the baby’s breath than the berry pieces to create a layered look.
- Then I hot glued 3 pom-pom flowers a little off to the side at the bottom or point of the heart wreath. I loved that little grouping of pink flowers at the bottom of the wreath, so cute!
- Finally, I cut 2 lengths of gingham ribbon (about 4′ in lengths) and tied those together in a simple bow next to the grouping of pink flowers. I prefer long ribbon tails, so I did not trim much of the ribbon once the bow was tied.
And there you have a really cute, easy to make Valentine wreath!
Pro Tip: When creating your wreath or any DIY for that matter, always remember that nothing is perfect. Imperfection is perfection.
Where to Hang Your DIY Heart Wreath
With your DIY heart wreath complete, it’s time to hang it! I love hanging seasonal wreaths inside our home. They add such character and it’s fun to change them seasonally or for an upcoming holiday.
This wreath looks adorable hanging from hooks in our front entryway, and is so welcoming to guests entering our home. You could hang this on a wall, on hooks like I did, in a kitchen window, or on the front or back of a door. You could hang this on a covered front door, however I am not sure how well it would hold up to outside elements because it is so dainty.
Other DIY Heart Wreath Ideas
Your imagination is truly the limit on the ways you can decorate your heart shaped grapevine wreath. Think outside the box, and always remember to have fun! Here are some other crafty ideas to try on a heart shaped wreath.
- Instead of faux flowers, use real. Roses and eucalyptus would be beautiful on this wreath, and dry beautifully.
- Outline the entire wreath with the faux pom-pom flowers or roses.
- Make 3 smaller heart wreaths, and tie them together with ribbon vertically for a beautiful Valentine decoration.
- Use red or bright pink flowers for a more dramatic look.
- Instead of a heart shape, twist the grapevine garland into a circle or oval shape for a traditional, but more organic looking grapevine wreath.
Pro Tip: Think outside the box when it comes to DIY’s. Utilize pieces in ways other than they are intended. Most importantly, always have fun!
More Valentine’s Day Inspiration
For more Valentine’s Day inspiration, ideas, DIY’s recipes, and more from me, click here.
Now that you’ve learned how to make a DIY heart wreath, head on over to Jen at Tatertots And Jello for her gorgeous DIY Valentine porch. And don’t forget to check out all the Valentine inspiration at the end of this blog post!
Shop Our Home
Links to products featured in this post can be found in our Shop Our Home page. I hope this page makes shopping our home a little easier for you! I earn a small commission when you make a purchase from one of our LTK links. Your support helps me continue to create meaningful content for you!